Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

Timeline Forums Project Forum Batteryless Solar Electronics Reply To: Batteryless Solar Electronics

• Anand Pandian

Administrator
    October 18, 2023 at 9:45 am

Hi Brian, thanks! This is such a crucial topic. I’ve been reading work by the Romanian economist Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen, who tried to bring entropy and energy dissipation into focus in economics. He’s been an important inspiration for the degrowth movement. He challenges the idea of a steady-state system as a kind of fiction. There is always some kind of dissipation, entropy, loss, and so for a system to be truly sustainable, it must be open to an outside flow in some way. This is what the sun is for us generally, and so solar influx is one kind of resource to design with. But I also wonder about other forms of available energy, like the energy generated by kinetic movement. There are watches, for example, that are powered by the movement of those who wear them. I wonder if one could begin to imagine electronics also powered by incidental kinetic movement, or other forms of energy already out there in the world.